Ousdale Broch, Caithness
Pentland Firth East Cable Replacement
We undertook archaeological survey and monitoring for Ellendale Environmental and Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks as part of onshore works related to the replacement of a subsea cable between Caithness and Hoy.
We've been carrying out excavations and watching briefs for Govan Heritage Trust as part of the redevelopment of Govan Old. Burials have been found in the graveyard dating back to the 5th century AD making it one of the oldest graveyards in Scotland! The current church houses an amazing collection of medieval Govan Stones dating from around 850-1100 AD.
Cambusbeg West Community Archaeology Training Project
In partnership with Northlight Heritage we undertook a training excavation with local volunteers as part of Callander's Landscape. The earliest phase appeared to be a circular monumental structure, probably dating to the late first millennia BC and/or early first millennia AD. Remains of a 17th-18th century settlement & a 19th century farmstead were also present.
Kelso Abbey Community Orchard
Working alongside Kelso Heritage Society we carried out an archaeological excavation with local volunteers during the creation of a community orchard within the precinct of Kelso Abbey. The project also involved wider engagement with local primary schools, both on-site and in the classroom. A primary school education and activity pack was produced relating to the finds from the excavation.
South Wales Tower Refurbishment
The Nine Stanes, Aberdeenshire
We were commissioned by Forestry and Land Scotland to conduct an assessment through excavation of two uprooted trees at the Nine Stanes Recumbent Stone Circle near Banchory Aberdeenshire. The last time any excavation was recorded at the stone circle was in the early 1900s. Read the report from over 100 years ago by Fred R. Coles here in Volume 39 (p190-218) of the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland archived by the Archaeology Data Service.
Our assessment report can be downloaded here.
Glenshee Archaeology Project Publication
In 2019 we co-authored a publication relating to early historic turf longhouses that were excavated at Lair as part of the Glenshee Archaeology Project. The publication is available in print and open access from Archaeopress Publishing Ltd. Open access was made available thanks to funding from Historic Environment Scotland. The project was led by Perth & Kinross Heritage Trust between 2012 and 2017. You can find out more about it on the Perth & Kinross Heritage Trust website.
Image above taken by Eddie Martin Photography
Beauly to Denny 400kV Overhead Line Publication
We have been sub-contracted by York Archaeological Trust, on behalf of Scottish & Southern Energy and Scottish Power Energy Networks to produce the publication relating to the archaeology found on a new 220 km powerline constructed between Beauly in the Highlands and Denny, near Falkirk. Some of the sites that will be appearing in the publication include a 3rd millennium BC timber circle, later prehistoric and medieval settlements, the battle of Sheriffmuir (1715) and remains related to post-medieval folklore, shielings and shepherding.
Paisley Arts Centre
The Arts Centre occupies the former Paisley Laigh Kirk or Low Kirk which was built in 1736 as a response to an expanding congregation and poor state of the nearby Abbey. We carried out a hand excavated trial trench evaluation within the graveyard in relation to a proposed extension to and refurbishment of the former church.
Little Dovehill, Glasgow
We conducted an archaeological trial trench evaluation in advance of a new residential development north of the Gallowgate, Glasgow. The site lies just east of the now culverted Molendinar burn, around which Medieval Glasgow grew. In the 18th century a Relief Church & storehouse occupied the site followed by a late 19th century primary school.
Standing Building Survey, Angus
Historic Building survey was undertaken for Cnoclee Environmental Services prior to demolition and refurbishment of a large farm complex in Angus. Map evidence indicated a settlement had existed here since at least the mid-1700s. Buildings from the 1800s had then been incorporated into a substantial remodelling in the late 1800s with further modification taking place in the 1900s and represent a good example of an evolving farm from the mid-1800s to the current day.